The Michigan Community Health Worker Network Working Group seeks to become a vibrant network of diverse CHWs and CHW supporters who work collaboratively with other CHW networks nationwide to create a larger supportive community of CHWS for resource sharing and to impact policy and advocacy efforts. The group also seeks to ensure all Michigan CHWs have access to professional development opportunities.
This page is dedicated to helping CHWs share information and learn about training opportunities, job postings, and CHW-relevant news.
This year, the MiCHWA CHW Network Working Group will be working on the following objectives:
- Increase CHW Network participation by 10%
- Increase awareness of MiCHWA and the CHW profession by conducting outreach and presenting about CHWs
- Increase CHW awareness of MiCHWA activities through monthly working group reports at each monthly CHW Network meeting
- Plan, promote, and participate in CHW Month
- Gather CHWs in person at the regional or state level for peer support at least 4 times
- Collaborate with CHWs nationwide to support network activities and increase awareness of national activities through at least two invited guests from at least two different states at CHW Network meetings
CHWs: We want YOU!
Meetings are open to all interested parties. We also want to know who you are and what great work you are doing as a CHW in Michigan. To join the next call and learn more about MiCHWA, fill out our contact form including the CHW form!
- On common ground
- Free to speak boldly
What is the purpose of the Network?
- To unite CHWs
- To give a place for CHWs to have their voices and opinions heard
- To provide opportunities for professional growth
- To increase awareness of CHWs in Michigan
- Share experiences, resources, job postings, & training opportunities
- Empower & strengthen each other
- Provide & receive support from CHWs
- Learn from each other & to understand each other
- Talk about issues from the field with people who understand what you do
Where can you find Network members?
- Health care agencies
- Health systems
- Federally qualified health care centers
- Non-profit organizations
- Health Departments
City/Location: Detroit, MI
Program/Agency: Community-Based Doula Program, CHASS Center, Inc
Why is your working group important for achieving CHW sustainability in Michigan? The Network is where we have discussions, empower one another, laugh and cry. We are the voice and decision makers for our future here in Michigan. This is why it is so important as a CHW and as a leader for the Network to stay in the loop of things. As CHWs we must continue to let other organizations know how we impact the individuals, families, and communities we touch. Having the other workgroups and an awesome Steering Committee on our side, we have become a successful and accomplished Alliance!
Why are you involved with CHWs? I have been a CHW for more than 15 years. At first, I did not realize who CHWs were but since I have been active with MiCHWA, I have seen how important we are nationally at the American Public Health Association and statewide. I have been a Family Health Advocate for a diabetes program here at CHASS Center at the REACH Detroit Partnership Program in Southwest Detroit. I am now with the Community-Based Doulas program at CHASS Center. As long as I am breathing and I am able to help moms, families and the community as whole, I will be there by their side to assist, to empower, and to advocate for them.
Phone: 313-849-3920 ext 5168
City/Location: Detroit, MI
Program/Agency: Type 1 Diabetes Program, CHASS Center, Inc.
Why is your working group important for achieving CHW sustainability in Michigan? Creating an awareness of CHWs and what we do will strengthen MICHWA, and we should have a say in what we want our future to look like.
Why are you involved with CHWs? I like the work that we do as CHWs helping build healthier communities.
CHW Awareness Months
This year, CHW Network members are supporting each other by supporting causes and issues that matter to our clients and communities. Take a look at our event pictures!